Sunday, October 22, 2006


When I finally got to my new thrift store a few weeks ago, I found some material. I've finally taken photos of the evidence. The chick and bunny material is a thickish flannel, which would be perfect for pyjamas either for me or for Jacinta. The train one is exciting because my husband is a train buff, so I'll have to think of something fun to do with this cot sheet.

I've also been slowly progressing with xmas plans. My cousin wants me to make her a bag out of this gorgeous patterned satin, and as I have a hate/hate relationship with sewing things either shiny or stretchy, I've made a test bag. It's not very good. It looks good from a distance, but I would be embarrassed to give her a bag like this. Apparently, as I discovered yesterday from the craft store ladies, the interfacing I used needed to be pre-shrunk. So that's why it's so bunchy!

All is not lost though. I learnt a lot from making the test bag, and I have new, better interfacing for Bec's bag.

Here's what I ended up with (carefully edited so you can't see the gritty reality).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun fabrics! And what a lovely print for the bag - certainly can't tell you had any issues with it in the photo! I find it very tricky to sew with satin or shiny fabrics, too - they tend to bunch up quite a bit.

Thanks for your kind words about CraftBorg, too! Believe me, I do understand about not having anyone locally to be crafty with - it's quite frustrating. I hope you're able to form your own local group - that would be fantastic! In the meantime, hooray for online communities!!

12:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohh pretty pretty!!! and that boyish one is too too cute!!!! i cant give any hints on satin cuz making curtains out of a sheet took me long enough- hehe... but the bottom pic bag looks beautiful!!! i bet she will love it!!!!

oh and i cant wait to see what you are working on :D fun fun!!!!!

12:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home