Friday, January 12, 2007

Odds and Ends

Last weekend I attended a workshop held by the local fabric shop, but for beading instead of patchwork. It was three hours of people just getting together creating. Some people were absolute beginners, and some, like myself, just enjoyed chatting and creating at the same time. Here's a couple of items I made from my stash. There's one more necklace I learnt how to make, but I want to attach the clasp before I unveil it.



I'm struggling with the length of the holidays. Sacrilege I know, but for me, holidays are hard. My husband works most days, and I am left at home alone, wondering what on earth to do with myself. You would think this would be a fantastic time to create, but it really isn't. I strive on human interaction and I doubt myself when I'm alone. I don't find joy in housework, and feel useless when it's not done.

To end this odd and probably unbelievable post, here's a find from the local thrift shop. $4 for all these needles and few other odds and ends. Some of them are bent, but hey - I like bent.


3 Comments:

Blogger Taphophile said...

Love your necklace - so striking yet so delicate. Great bargain on the needles.

1:06 pm  
Blogger SoulCradler said...

I know exactly how you feel about the inertia of long holidays, E - I have the same feelings - I've tried explaining this to others in the past, but yes, they think I'm weird.

I had about a month after my wedding and before we moved house recently where my husband was working and I was meant to be 'packing' in preparation for the move. But really, how much continuous packing can one do?!

And yes, it was a missed opportunity in terms of craftiness, reading, cooking and other wonderful things, but when there is nothing to drive it, then it becomes a bit...meh. And then you actually feel *guilty* because you haven't achieved anything. I even started making lists of ridiculous things to do, so at least I could tick things off!

I remember MrSoulCradler's amusement when he would get home from work and I would just jabber on meaninglessly about the most trivial things - just because I had someone to talk to! I think he can be the househusband when we have kids - he is much better at being home than me.

So yeah, in short - I get it.

Lovely necklace too :) We (my girlfriends and I) did a beading class as part of my hens night - it was a great start to the evening - biccies, dip, beads and conversation. Very Parisian salon.

1:27 pm  
Blogger BrownPants said...

Holy Hell I can't believe you got all those for $4! Score!

5:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home